Garner stars as Millwey Rise launch new league term with draw at Lyme Regis
- Credit: Archant
Millwey Rise first team were involved in an exciting opening game of their new Devon and Exeter League Division Five season, writes Dick Sturch.
Rise shared two goals with host Lyme Regis reserves at their Davey Fort home.
The first half belonged to the young Millwey team who completely outplayed their opponents.
After putting the home side’s goal under constant pressure it was surprising it took until the 25th minute before they got the ball into the net.
Tyler Allen, who had seen a previous volley palmed away, got on the end of a well worked free kick to score from an acute angle. This was no more than ‘Rise’ deserved and realistically they should have gone into the interval with several more instead of a solitary goal.
You may also want to watch:
The second period saw a total swing around as Millwey’s earlier slick passing and aggression vaporised as the half progressed. Only a superb save, by new keeper Bret Garner, kept them ahead early on but also augured the start of continual pressure by the home side. This eventually resulted in a cracking equaliser which gave Garner no chance.
To Millwey’s credit everyone dug in to stem the flow and Garner once again produced a wonder save from a close range free kick to deny Lyme the winner their second half endeavours probably deserved.
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 3 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 4 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 Football in support of mental health
- 8 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
Both teams can take away many positives from this game. The young Millwey side showed tremendous style and flair in the first half but faded badly in the second half. Bret Garner in goal showed what an asset he will be to the team this Season. Alex Rocket was as solid as ever in defence and Sam Burke kept the midfield together.
The Millwey Rise Man of the Match award, sponsored by the Cloakham Lawns Crib team, was goalkeeper Bret Garner.