Gillards stars as Honiton Town Under-14s are edged out by Inter Heavitree
- Credit: Archant
Honiton Town 1, Inter Heavitree 3 Honiton Town were narrowly beaten in an Exeter Youth League Under-14 Division Three close encounter with third placed Inter Heavitree, writes Joe Gillard.
The game was tight early on, but Honiton prospered thanks to some good exchanges between Jacob Wright and Connor Flanagan going forward whilst Elliott Forwell and Joe Gillard did good work in the defensive third. After Wright made a good solo run that came to nothing it was the Exeter side who took the lead.
Despite falling behind it was Town who took charge and looked particularly dangerous at set plays.
Gillard volleyed narrowly over after a Jack Smith corner and Kyle Newham saw a crisp shot well saved whilst Flanagan rifled an effort over the bar.
Just before the break parity was restored when a strike from Elliot Forwell was deflected by Wright into the path of Gillard who made no mistake.
You may also want to watch:
After the break and with three fresh players the home team pressed forward with good interplay between Elliot Forwell and Ben Harris leaving Ethan Seymour through on goal, but his shot was well saved by the keeper. The visitors regained the lead, but back came Town and another fine Wright run set up Cameron Long who saw his shot flash marginally wide.
A late third for the goal consigned Town to a defeat their contribution to the game did not deserve.
- 1 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 2 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 3 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
It was Gillard who landed the Man of the Match award for his splendid all-round shift.