Gould saves penalty as Reserves win in Exeter
Beer Reserves notched only their second away win of the season with a stirring performance after being twice behind against Exwick Village before winning 4-2, writes Richard Honnor.
Exwick started with a strong wind at their backs and the Fishermen barely managed to get out of their own half in the first 25 minutes, facing wave after wave of Exwick attacks.
Inevitably the hosts scored first with a header from a corner-kick, giving Beer keeper, Shaun Gould, no chance. Beer resisted well under pressure, but their midfield was unable to assert any level of control.
On 30 minutes, however, in a rare counter-attack, Beer made it 1-1 through a smart Jack White finish. Back came Exwick, however, and they went 2-1 up following a defensive error. Beer continued to soak up the pressure and equalised on the stroke of half-time from another speedy counter-attack, this time player-manager Simon Smith scoring after fine work by Lewis Weedon and Ross Broom.
The second half was a complete reversal of the first with the Fishermen now dominating the possession. However, Exwick had a great opportunity to win the game when they were awarded a penalty on 60 minutes, but Gould saved the spot-kick with a brilliant diving save.
You may also want to watch:
This moment proved to be the turning point in the game - Beer were now creating plenty of chances with some fine flowing football.
Beer deservedly went in front when Robert Adkin headed in a Matt Smith corner and then Simon Smith settled the result with a spectacular 40-yard volley.
- 1 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 2 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 3 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 4 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 5 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 6 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 7 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 8 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 9 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 10 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis