Gooding ton guides Kilmington to fourth successive win
- Credit: Archant
Kilmington claimed a fourth successive C Division East victory as they beat Alphington by a margin of 74 runs.
Tom Gooding was once again the star of the show for the villagers as scored 104 and there were supporting knocks from Alex Rockett (48), skipper Brett Garner (45) and Matt Rockett (28) as Kilmington closed on an imposing 274-6.
Gooding then took a brace of wickets, finishing with figures of 2-35, helping Rob Crabb, who took 4-31, to bowl out the Alphas for 200.
Kilmington skipper Brett Garner said: “It was a really good all-round show. Having won the toss it was a no-brainer to bat first as it looked a good strip and I targeted a 270’ish total, so to close on 274 was a case of ‘a job with the bat’ well done. “
He continued: “Then we bagged a couple of key early wickets and, while we dropped their overseas – he hits the ball some distance – we got him before he did too much damage and I was really pleased with the four spinners, who all bowled well and helped make sure that the Alphington run chase was never getting out of control from our point of view.”
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday the league term reaches the one-third mark and Kilmington are tasked with being the latest side to try and stop the winning run of Sidmouth II who they travel to meet at their Fortfield home. Garner says: “It’s a shame we play them on a match day when we are a few players light, but we will go there with a degree of confidence and see what happens.”
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Football in support of mental health
- 9 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 10 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020