Gritty and tough secures victory

Honiton smashed and grabbed a 13-8 win at Teignmouth on Saturday afternoon. The win propelled them on to the heels of Falmouth as they look to hunt down the Cornish side before the end of the season.

With the sun shinning brightly, one hoped that Honiton would turn on the flair that had seen them win the previous seven games, however, it was a pretty dire affair as the Lacemen struggled to acquire any possession.

Teignmouth were up for the game, but Honiton started the better of two. Having spilt the kick off, they defended stoutly before Josh Rice won a penalty for the visitors as the home side’s outside centre was penalised for holding on following the tackle.

The Lacemen went downfield, won the lineout and, using the blindside, Luke Kenny broke through following the first phase.

With Webber in close support, he used his extra man to cause confusion in the defence and scramble over from 20 yards out. Webber converted to give Honiton a 7-0 lead.

You may also want to watch:

For the rest of the half, it would be fair to say Honiton defended. Teignmouth rallied and tried to suck Honiton in before spinning the ball wide. Honiton were resolute in their defence. Excellent covering tackles from Hyland, Small and Canniford kept the seasiders at bay. On one particular occasion, Hyland had to cover at least fifty yards to make the hit. Beautiful.

Eventually the pressure told and Honiton conceded a kickable penalty. Teignmouth nudged it over and it was 7-3.

Most Read

Honiton did not have the ball for thirty five minutes of the half so they knew that, with a bit more ball in the second period, they could do the damage.

Teignmouth, however, had other ideas and were the first to score in the second half.

Honiton were disrupted as Kenny was forced off with a knock to the head, forcing a re-shuffle. Canniford stepped in at 10, and completed his task admirably as the Lacemen drove themselves back into the game.

With more possession, Honiton were able to force better territory and, eventually, penalties. Webber was unfortunate with the first, but his second; a pressure kick with just 15 minutes to go, was put between the uprights to put the game back in the Lacemen’s favour. By this time Norman had been sent off for an altercation, so in control with fourteen.

Honiton turned the screw, and won another penalty, again Webber on the mark.

At 13-8 the hosts huffed and puffed but the Lacemen stood strong. Now it’s eight wins in a row.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus