Grove, Hubbard and Turner win the JB Cup at Axe Cliff
- Credit: Archant
On an overcast and draughty day 81 players from home and away competed in the annual seniors’ Open at Axe Cliff, writes Janet Dack.
The Silver Salver for the visitors was won with the best score of the day by David Maggs (Honiton) complete with Mike Lyman and Rod Armitage.
Their score of 72 points was one better than the runners-up from Ashley Wood; Clive Jones, Tony Fox and Ron Mullis with 71 points.
For the home club The JB Cup was won with a score of 68 points by Rob Grove, Geoff Hubbard and Gerry Turner.
Second place went to Peter Knighting, Bill Polley and Dave Weston with 66 points, one ahead of the third placed team of captain John White, David Bruce and Geoff Hughes.
You may also want to watch:
Perhaps the most memorable moment of the day was gained by John Brooking of Dinnaton GC who had the magic of a hole-in-one on the 11th, everybody’s dream (or nightmare!).
Other special prizes went to; Clive Jones (Ashley Wood) who won the nearest the pin at the 7th, Bill Polley (Axe Cliff) won the nearest the pin at the 18th and Clive Davie (Axe Cliff) who landed the nearest pin in two at the 13th.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert
- 10 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
Prizes were presented by seniors’ captain, John White who thanked Peter Knighting for organising the event and the hard work involved.
Both men thanked the club, the Greenkeepers and other helpers including the ladies for the part they played in the smooth running of the day.
Earlier in the week the team played the home leg of the Emerton Court tie against Saunton.
In a closely fought encounter the visitors gained a small lead winning by three –and-two.
The winnings pairings for Axe Cliff were; Gerry Turner with Chris Walker and Phil Wilkins with Bill Polle.