Hi Q closing in on Honiton Netball League promotion
Just the one game in division one involving the two teams at the bottom of the table who have already been relegated for next season, writes Graham Ingram.
The game between Weather Girls and Tip Top Trees was a close one, but left 3Ts still looking for their first win after the 33-28 defeat – and now they have just one game remaining to do that!
There were three games in division one with some issues still to be decided. Hi Q needed just a point from their game tonight to be sure of promotion – whilst wins for Sidmouth Toucans, Pixies and JD Tyres would keep them all in the hunt for promotion to the top flight.
Toucans were up against JD Tyres so one of the two were going to be disappointed at the end of the evening! Sidmouth Toucans got off to the best start – leading 7-4 at the end of the first period. With Kristy Platt playing well for Toucans this established a pattern, with the Sidmouth side having slightly the better of each quarter, despite good work from Tanya Broom for JD. At half way it was 17-13. And then at the start of the final quarter Toucans led 26-20 eventually winning the tussle by 35-28, a win that saw them move into the second spot.
Pixies needed a good result against Hi Q to maintain their promotion push, and it was not to happen despite a fine effort from Emma Griffin. Hi Q, with Kerri Callon playing well dominated from the start, leading 11-1, then 22-3 and 34-5 before ending the evening with a convincing 43-7 win, their 100% record intact and the title secured!
You may also want to watch:
Third match of the night saw Howden Hawks maintain their recent run of form with a win over Water Babes by 22-11, with the Babes just missing out on a point from their defeat.
The first quarter was close with Hawks shading it 5-3. With Zoe Dunn playing well for Hawks they then gained the upper hand to lead 14-4 at half way and 17-7 going into the final session.
- 1 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 2 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 3 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 4 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 5 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 6 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 7 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 8 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 9 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 10 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
Once again Sam Clarke put in a fine show for the Water Babes but it was just not enough as hawks recorded a 22-11 win.
Results: Division 1: Met Office Girls 33, Tip Top Trees 28.
Division 2: Sidmouth Toucans 35, JD Tyres 28; HiQ 43, Pixies 7; Howden hawks 22, Water Babes 11.
1. Flamingos 13 306 39
2. OPG 14 298 36
3. Uplowman 13 78 24
4. Signs South West 13 -46 19*
5. Met Office Girls 13 -167 11*
6. Tip Top Trees 14 -472 2*
1. Hi Q 15 444 45
2. Sidmouth Toucans 15 157 35
3. Pixies 16 26 33
4. JD Tyres 16 108 29*
5. Howden Hawks 14 -181 17
6. Otter Valley Dairy 15 -204 10
7. Water Babes 15 -350 4
* 3 points deducted for not fulfilling a fixture.