Hippos held at Newton St Cyres
- Credit: Archant
Honiton Town were held to a goalless draw when they travelled to a wind-swept Newton St Cyres for their latest Fresha League Premier Division game.
Town, playing their first game in four weeks owing to the recent bad weather, found the surface to be very heavy and that, combined with a powerful wind, made playing a passing game impossible.
Town boss Kev Blackwell said: “The fact it was out first game for a month really showed. However, it was a great effort and I’ll take the point with the added bonus of a clean sheet, especially in such conditions,.
“Stand-in goalkeeper James Billington did the team, and himself, proud with his contribution. I was also impressed with centre backs Darren Witt and Ryan Gibbs who gave us a solid base at the back and the return of Joe Dixon to the middle of the park really gave us an assuredness that we lacked in the previous outing. This Town side looked a very different one to that spluttered against Sidbury!”
The Town boss continued: “It was a tough for the club trying to get three teams out for this particular match day. The three Managers supported each other, and I can only thank them as we tried to ensure Town had three sides capable of a win. Unfortunately we fell short to make it a nine -point Saturday for the club, but at 11am, with only 11 confirmed players my keeper also had to unfortunately pull out. So to have wins for reserves and thirds and a draw for the senior side makes for a good day all-round.”
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday Town entertain Hatherleigh at Mountbatten Park (2.15pm).
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 3 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 4 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 5 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 6 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 9 The US Open: part two
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax