Holyrood Academy in rounders success against Gryphon
- Credit: Archant
Holyrood School’s year-10 rounders team got off to a flier after beating Gryphon School in their first league match of the season.
Gryphon won the toss and put Holyrood into bat where the girls struggled to keep the ball on the ground, which resulted in quick catches putting the home side under pressure.
Holyrood were only able to score four-and-a-half rounders from their first innings, which left them needing to field well!
Despite some strong bowling from captain Ellie Hull, a few mistakes in the deep saw Gryphon end on five rounders to hold a narrow lead at half-time.
In the Holyrood second innings, some excellent striking from the likes of Jess Withers, Cerys Llewellyn, Martha Cosgrove, Amy Hart and Lisa Owen saw the team score an excellent eleven-and-a-half rounders, which put the pressure back on to the opposition.
You may also want to watch:
In Gryphon’s second innings, the home side served up some outstanding fielding. Edith Evans took a stunning catch behind third post while back stop Lisa Owen and second post Jess Withers worked well to stop Gryphon from scoring.
As it happened Gryphon were restricted to eight-and-a-half rounders and so Holyrood took the match honours.
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Football in support of mental health
- 9 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 10 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
The Holyrood Player of the Match award was shared by Amy Hart and Martha Cosgrove.
Holyrood Academy sports coach Miss Sims said: “The girls were apprehensive at the beginning as they were missing a couple of key players, but I’m pleased with how they’ve started the season.
“We’re looking forward to the next game against King Arthur’s where we hope to build on today’s work.”