Honiton appoint Cave as 1st XI skipper
- Credit: Archant
Honiton are hoping new first team captain Oli Cave can inspire the team to league success, writes Conrad Sutcliffe.
A top four finish in the D Division East last season could be the springboard for promotion in 2016.
Cave, who has taken over from Rob Ingram as captain, will be hoping the signing of 19-year-old South African batsman Mike Docherty who has recently moved to the area will add some consistency to their line-up.
Pete Matravers (463) and Brian Cann (431) led the batting effort last season with the now departed Kev Kelly (368), Cave (236) and Ingram (216) the supporting acts.
The 2nd XI, captained again by Andrew Lapping, will look to secure their place in the C East Division, having won the D East title last season.
You may also want to watch:
The club, which is continuing in the Last Man Standing League, also has a full Sunday X1 programme.
Honiton have been busy on the business front over the close season, acquiring new polo short sponsors in Blamphayne Sawmills Limited as well as securing funding for new mobile covers and a Bowdry courtesy of an ECB small grant scheme and supported by Devon Tiles and Bathrooms.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
The club is still supported by main shirt sponsors Norcotts Cider and Combe Estate.
Pre-season nets will be at the University of Exeter on Sunday nights between 7-8pm throughout March.
Any new members are welcome and anyone wanting to attend should call chairman Lapping on 07792 368824.