Honiton bowlers progressing well in county competitions
- Credit: Archant
Two of Honiton’s singles players are progressing well in their respective county competitions, writes Julie Grant.
Shirley Hiscocks had a splendid victory over Gill Callaghan at Mid Devon to go into the semi-finals of the Champion of Champions.
Steve Coles is in the quarter-final of the four wood singles after defeating Andy Walden at Torbay 21-16.
In the men’s Interclub League, Honiton suffered losses to Torbay and Plymouth. However, there were a couple of top rinks. Tony Williams, Mike Dart, Bill Nicholls and Terry House scored 20-16 to be the best against Torbay in the 79-92 overall loss.
Barry Randall, Kevin Vernon, Steve Coles and Ian Veitch won 24-17 against Plymouth, who won by 32 shots overall.
You may also want to watch:
In the men’s Over-60 match versus South Hams, only one rink had a win in the 71-107 defeat.
The successful rink was the one of Tony Williams, Richard Bland, Bill Nicholls and Ian Veitch.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
Honiton did have results to celebrate as the two home friendlies were won last week. The ladies beat Axminster 66-30, top rink Pat Whitworth, Carol Armitage and Gail Hawke 29-11.
A mixed team won last Sunday against Bovey Tracey 71-65.
The best of the two winning rinks was the one comprising of David Tooley, Lindsey Howell, Chris Hawke and Heather Chambers, who won 22-10.