Honiton bowlers ‘suffer week to forget’
- Credit: Archant
As Honiton Bowls Club members go off on tour this week, they may reflect on last week as one to forget, writes Julie Grant.
A loss came in the East of Exe League against Seaton who were 79-64 winners, but two rinks did win. Fred Cowey, Ron Rogers, Tracy Lambert, Denis Hillyear (18-14) and Jean Mitchell, Mike Critchley, Heather Chambers, Gerry Stafrace (16-13).
The men’s Over-60s C team had hoped to clinch the Exeter and District League Division Two title, but faltered by losing to Morchard Bishop 41 to 21 and now await other teams results to see if they have gained promotion. Honiton A did achieve a win against Phear Park, but languish second from bottom in Division Six.
The winners were Eric Etheridge, Owen Cleverdon and David Lindley (24-13).
In the home triple fixture against Dunkeswell Honiton drew 68-all even though they had won on two rinks.
You may also want to watch:
Honiton were short of two players and so had to give 25 per cent to Dunkeswell!
Although I watched Sue Evans play well for Devon ladies at the nationals in Leamington, the county could not retain the Walker Cup and lost to Leicestershire in the final.
- 1 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 2 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 3 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 4 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 5 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 6 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 7 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 8 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
The club competitions are now complete and results will feature after presentation evening being held on September 17.