Honiton have promotion confirmed with win over Axminster
- Credit: Archant
Honiton claimed a 14th win in 15 E Division East outings after they beat Axminster by eight wickets at Mountbatten Park.
The win means that Honiton cannot now be denied a top three finish and that means they will step up into the D Division East next season where they can look forward to meeting the likes of Budleigh Salterton and North Devon 2nds together with the 1st XIs of Clyst Hydon and Barnstaple and Pilton.
After winning the toss and putting visiting Axminster in, the Honiton bowlers used the damp conditions to great effect, bowling out the Axemen for just 155.
It was Honiton skipper Adam Holmes who took the bowling honours, returning the splendid figures of 4-15 and there were two wicket returns for Ian Kelly (2-24) and Rob Ingram (2-34).
Kelly then completed another fine afternoon’s all-round effort with an unbeaten 54 and Dave Haysom chipped in with 44 while Kieran Conway was not out 39 as the inning line was crossed.
You may also want to watch:
Honiton, who travel to Bideford, Littleham and Westward Ho! on Saturday, need 34 points from their final three games to see them promoted as champions. After Saturday’s trip up the North Devon Link Road, Adam Holmes and his men travel to Thorverton before ending their campaign on the first Saturday of September with a home game against a Kentisbeare side that look like going up with them.
- 1 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 2 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 3 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 4 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 5 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 6 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters