Honiton colts edged out by Okehampton

Honiton 2nds at home to Kingsbridge. Ref mhsp 2983-08-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife

Honiton 2nds at home to Kingsbridge. Ref mhsp 2983-08-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

The Honiton Colts played hosts to a strong Okehampton Colt side, and with a injury, illness and unavailability’s, it was always going to be a hard slog for the players, writes Paz Parratt.

The Lacemen opted to play against the slope to start the match an as the ball was played in hand ground was made.

Honiton looked in control as territory was gained. The ball was released out and Charlie Wright was quickly on the score board as he broke through to touch down under the wood work, which left a straight forward kick for Ross Oaten. Okehampton restarted with some urgency and as the pressure was applied from the visitors, the Lacemen started to get drawn in to some strange penalty decisions.

Against Okehampton mistakes were costly and as the next 10 minutes went on the Okes were rewarded and kicked six points.

The game looked to be a level contest and both camps found it hard work in the boggy conditions. Some quick thinking from Jonny House saw him weave his way through a sleepy Okehampton following a penalty to cross out wide. With the score now 12-6 the visitors turned on the pressure and were eventually rewarded with their own try on the right wing, their kick also fell short to leave the score 12-11 going in to the break.

You may also want to watch:

Okehampton were a physical side and as they came out from the break it was obvious they were looking for points.

Their number-ten placed a deep kick behind the Lacemens defences and as they scampered back to try and secure the ball, it fell loose and Okehampton were able to collect and cross for an easy try.

Most Read

Okehampton now led for the first time and again looked to their number-ten to widen the gap. They were on the right side of a run of penalties from the home side and managed to take full advantage. They racked up the points with some well placed kicks and the score now 18-12 to the guests.

Honiton re-grouped and slowed things down, and as they started to play their own rugby, Will Tyers found the line as he ran in under the posts. Oaten kicked successfully and Honiton edged into a 19-18 lead.

The visitors came back, but the home side defended well and held up a third try.

At the other end the Lacemen crossed a couple more times themselves both of which were disallowed.

Okehampton were soon back in the lead as they again relied on their number ten who had kicked well all game, and, in the last 15 minutes he slotted four more penalties to give his side a healthy lead.

Honiton refused to conceded and from a five-metre driving maul, Connor Long was able to cross for the final time to close the game a disappointing 30-24. Honiton took 3 points from the game to keep them still top of the Devon Colts Merit Table.

Thanks are due to Coral Bookmakers of Honiton High Street for being the match ball sponsor.

Ben Willis was awarded the Colts Man of the Match honour.

Next up for the Colts is a trip to Torquay.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus