Honiton Colts power to home success over useful Torquay outfit.
Honiton Colts got back into league action at Allhallows with a tricky fixture against a much-fancied Torquay side, writes Roger Dance.
Playing on the top field conditions were heavy under foot. Honiton started well and were soon on the score sheet when Fin Parrott crashed over from short range. Ross Oaten added the extras. The heavy going meant both side struggle to be expansive and a penalty knocked over by the visitors saw them back in the game.
However, some good work from Ben Logan saw him release Codie Northcott who scored out wide. Oaten did well to add the extras.
The Seasiders weathered the Honiton attacks and dug deep and pulled themselves right back into the game with two tries in quick succession to trail by a single point, 14-13 at half-time.
Harry Wright steadied the ship with an early try and Oatens extras gave then the two score buffer. Honiton then applied the hammer blow, and, from a good catch and drive the maul was only halted by illegal means and the Lacemen were rightly rewarded with penalty try which Oaten again converted.
You may also want to watch:
UC Elgahmagy got the next score after some good handling and this meant the game was in the bag as a contest.
The Torquay boys did rally and finished with a consolation try, but the final score was 33-18 to the Lacemen from what was a good all-round team performance, however Logan was singled out as the Man of the Match for his all-round graft.
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Football in support of mental health
- 9 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 10 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
This weekend the team face a tough away trip to Kingsbridge.