Honiton cricketers back into action for new campaign
- Credit: Archant
Honiton launch a new cricket season on Saturday (April 15).
The Mountbatten Park men get a new campaign under way with a friendly match at Ottery St Mary.
The 2017 Tolchards Devon League term begins on Saturday, May 6, with the Honiton 1st XI in action at Axminster while the 2nd XI entertain Exeter III at Mountbatten Park.
Honiton CC chairman Andrew Lapping, speaking about the build-up to the new campaign, said: “It has certainly been an exhausting winter for the committee and club members with the installation of new top-notch net facilities thanks to an excellent response from local supporters to the club’s crowdfunding appeal, a substantial ECB grant and a lot of hard work from members, Tesco and supporters from the local community in cold, muddy and, once or twice, even snowy conditions.”
Lapping continued: “We have been so fortunate with generous support from existing sponsors plus an exciting new partnership with MKM Building Supplies which has all helped put the club in a financially sound position.
You may also want to watch:
“This season, with the pairing of Tom Strawbridge and Adam Holmes sharing captaincy duties, I am optimistic that the 1st XI can challenge for promotion.”
Lapping will once again skipper the 2nd XI and he says: “We had a decent 2016 season, finishing just outside the promotion slots and I’d like to think we can go one better this time round.”
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 6 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 7 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 8 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 9 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
Honiton also have a long fixture list for a Sunday XI campaign under the captaincy of Ben Kidson and Kieran Conway. There’s also a packed program of T20 and other short-form games, plus the expansion of youth teams under the watchful eye of Pete Matravers, and Lapping says of the club’s overall status: “We are in good health and can, I feel sure, look forward to an exciting season ahead.”
Honiton are always keen to recruit new players of any standard, umpires, scorers and anyone else who would like to help out.
If you are interested in getting involved with the club you can call Andrew Lapping on 07792 368824 or contact the club via their website or Facebook page, alternatively simply turn up; at the weekly net sessions held at Mountbatten Park on Thursday evening, or get along to a Mountbatten Park match and join a happy and friendly local cricket club.