Honiton edge out Hemyock in close encounter
- Credit: Archant
It may have been late in the evening and very dark, but Honiton players managed, just, to bowl their way to victory in their first East of Exe league match at Hemyock, writes Julie Grant.
The final score was Honiton 74, Hemyock 73, with the top rink being the one of Denis Hillyear, Mike Critchley, Berry Maynard and Trevor Pipe scoring 27 to 11.
A few evenings later and the darkness loomed, but the thunderstorm happened over the sea at Exmouth as Honiton lost to Madeira 49-20 in the Tony Allcock Over-60s double rink competition.
The weather had a dramatic effect on one mixed friendly last week. You can’t really bowl when the green floods so after two thirds of the game Taunton Vivary players fled the Honiton green claiming victory by three shots as the water rose around their ankles.
Honiton, of course, claim that if the match had been completed it might have been an altogether different score.
You may also want to watch:
At home against Lyme, in glorious sunshine at the weekend, Honiton were well beaten 76 to 109.
Top Honiton rink was Yvonne Williams, Daphne Courtney, Peter Robinson and Ken Clarke who won 27 to 13.
- 1 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 2 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 7 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 8 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 9 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery