Honiton end petanque league campaign with narrow defeat
- Credit: Archant
Honiton completed their second campaign in the Devon League last week, but couldn’t quite finish on a high note, as they lost narrowly, 3-2 at title challengers Plymouth.
However, the two points banked from the meeting leaves them with a final total of 29 points and level with fourth placed Chudleigh, but placed sixth in the final table on points difference.
On a rainy Terrain at Brickfields Sports Centre in Plymouth, the home side soon had Honiton under the cosh with Larry Halliwell, Tony Prior and Cecily Young going down 13-7 in the opening triples contest.
The second triple saw Honiton’s Charlie O’Reilly, Chris Bigmore and Jenny Lavender slip 9-1 down before mounting a terrific comeback to secure a 13-10 win.
With the match level, the doubles were more even, but Plymouth overcame the pairs of Prior of O’Reilly (13-6) and Bigmore and Lavender (13-7) to seal an overall;l triumph.
You may also want to watch:
Honiton though, fully deserved to have the final season in terms of the season’s league action and their final pairing of Halliwell and Young however continued their fine end of season form with a strong 13-6 win.
Captain Chris Bigmore said: “It would have been nice to finish with a win. However, not winning the final outing should not detract from what has been a brilliant season.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 3 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 4 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 5 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 9 The US Open: part two
- 10 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
“We exceeded all our targets for match wins, points and position.
“I couldn’t have asked for more from our team who made real progress this year, and all the core players made equally valuable contributions at different times.”
As well as players being involved in various tournaments, Honiton also plan some club challenge matches for the remainder of the playing season.
The 2017 Devon Petanque League final table
P W Pts
Pig On The Hill 12 10 36
Ottery St Mary 12 6 34
Plymouth 12 9 32
Chudleigh 12 6 29
TorridgeU3A 12 3 29
Honiton 12 5 29
Isca 12 3 21