Honiton endeavour not quite enough at Crediton

Honiton rugby action from Crediton game

Honiton rugby action from Crediton game - Credit: Archant

Honiton went down 41-15 in their league meeting with hosts Crediton, writes Roger Dance.

The hosts are quietly just under the radar as promotion candidates in the league and with only one loss, which was by a single point to the current leaders and a game in hand, they will be there or there abouts at the end of the season. So, all in all on paper, they were the clear favourites to take the result.

As expected Crediton came out all guns blazing and despite some valiant defence by Honiton within ten minutes they had dotted down twice and it looked like a long old afternoon was on the cards for the depleted Lacemen.

Honiton rallied from this start and from a good line out Robert Price broke free and with team mates behind him adding the weight, he ploughed over for a good score. From this point on Honiton really dug deep and to be fair competed well. There was some great, if some times desperate defence on occasions but Honiton hung in there and to a degree actually played their part in an entertaining first half. Crediton did score again but adding to his earlier conversion Ben Webber knocked over a penalty and at half time Honiton were actually only 10-17 down but clearly in hanging on mode rather than looking threatening.

Unfortunately in the second half Honiton were faced with a stiff breeze which is never a good sign and having lost the services of robust hooker Pricey who suffered a hand injury, Honiton’s pack was defiantly disrupted. Fullback Philip Cook was press ganged into front row duty and with an already formidable armoury on show in the front five from Credition, Honiton struggled to contain them in this facet of the game which proved telling as Honiton were always on the back foot. Honiton leaked tries through out the half despite contributing to the game with some good passages of play and Honiton did score a consultation try which was well worked by all and was dotted down by the hard working, man of the match Josh Rice. The final score was 46-15 to the visitors, a score line which didn’t really reflect the efforts the Lacemen had put in against what is clearly a good out fit.

You may also want to watch:

There were actually several positives from the game despite the score, especially in the endeavour department and the efforts of all could not be faulted. Young Luke Witton did well behind a retreating pack and despite a torrid time, Cookie survived his ordeal in the row with distinction. The two young colts pressed into service in Harry Wright and Ben Kitson, really stepped up to the plate and more than played their part at the battlements and are certainly ones for the future. It was also a rather disappointing send off for the two departing young ‘Aussies’ who both played their last game for the club and they now return down under having had a lively year, sampling the delights of the English hospitality. On this front, there has to be a big thanks from club to the Selway clan for acting as ‘surrogate’ parents for them during their stay.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus