Honiton Flitch Trophy triumph for John and Cathy Pawley
- Credit: Archant
The Flitch Trophy is a mixed trophy competition for married couples only and was played on the final weekend of April, writes Ann Desmoulins.
The annual event began back in 1980, when a ‘Ham Flitch’ was originally presented to the winners.
In later years, 1990, a trophy was presented by Mrs Barbara Adams in memory of her husband David.
The trophy is thought to originate from the Honiton Pottery, a unique glazed dish, coloured green and commissioned especially for the donor.
The competition format was in the form of a Foursomes, a testing game even for the best of friends!
You may also want to watch:
Each couple takes turns to play the next shot, all very well if your partner can hit a straight ball and place it nicely on the fairway, but golf plays silly games with the mind and with pressure mounting not to upset ‘the other half’ a ball inevitably ends up either behind a tree or in a ditch!
The competition was supported by a good number of entries, a dry day albeit a little chilly and scores reflecting the lovely course condition. The worthy winners for 2018 were seniors’ captain John Pawley and wife Cathy, scoring an excellent 41 points.
- 1 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 2 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 3 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 4 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 5 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 6 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 7 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 8 Children’s hospice South West celebrates 30 years
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 Government scraps house building quota in East Devon
No twos were recorded and, as a result, a card draw took place, which saw success for Bill and Olwen Eaton.