Honiton golf latest – holes-in-one for Morgan and Morrison
- Credit: Archant
There were a brace of holes-in-one last week at Honiton, writes Liz Rogers.
They both came in the Lombard Medal meeting that was won by John Tierney with an excellent gross 74, net 66. As a result of this victory John will now pair up with Adrian Cave, the club’s senior professional, and compete in the regional finals at Burnham and Berrow Golf Club in Somerset.
The hole-in-one was achieved by Darren Morgan and Brian Morrison.
The latest Saturday Circus roll-up, always a popular event at the club, was well attended and two players returned to the clubhouse with an impressive haul of 41 points.
Countback was called into play with Dan Handford edging out Steve Key for the top honour. Both players, of course, have now had their handicaps reduced!
You may also want to watch:
The first Mixed Match of the season, organised again this year by Stephanie and Bob Barnes, was played at home against East Devon. Ten pairings went out for greensomes matchplay. These matches are played in a friendly, but competitive spirit and are followed by a social meal which was enjoyed by all.
Honiton took the match honours with a five-and-a-half to four-and-a-half victory.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 5 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 6 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 7 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 8 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 9 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 10 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
The format for the Tuesday mixed competition was stableford with the best two scores to count on each hole. The winners, with a good score of 90 points, were the team of Jan and John Dickinson with Jan and Keith Portlock - helped by Jan Portlock scoring five points on one of the holes. In second place on countback were lady captain Olwen and Bill Eaton with Jane and seniors’ captain Mike Watts with 88 points. The lady captain presented the prizes and gave the vote of thanks.
The Honiton ladies’ section played Killard Leavy and foursomes stableford.
In the Foursomes Stableford, Joan Smith and Linda Blundell came in in first place with 37 points beating Hilda Hoepelman and Jan Dickinson on countback. Third place was taken by Chris Luttman and Jan Portlock on 35 points.
Hilda Hoepelman and Jan Dickinson go forward to the Killard Leavy final which is being played at Yelverton in September.