Honiton ladies Open glory for East Devon trio
- Credit: Archant
Honiton ladies staged the first of the two Open competitions of the year with the opening one taking place in superb weather conditions, writes John Pawley.
It was certainly a popular event with no fewer than 44 teams of three from Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Cornwall and even one lady from Cheshire (the friend of a Honiton member), taking part.
The three-ball better ball format was the popular one of two scores to count off full handicap.
The halfway hut had a table of delicious home-made cakes on offer, which proved irresistible to most and the renowned Prize Table again featured a wonderful array of handbags.
The overall winners, with an amazing 89 points were a trio of relative newcomers to the game – Judith Glover, Ann Sobczak and Fiona Cameron-Jones from East Devon.
You may also want to watch:
Second were a threesome from Sherborne and third a team of two from Bridport and Honiton’s own Sue Kelson.
Next home, in order, were teams from Sherborne, Stover and Staddon Heights.
- 1 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 2 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 3 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 4 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 5 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 6 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 7 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 8 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 9 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 10 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
The winner of the nearest the pin on the second hole was Sherborne player Angela Heysham whilst the nearest the pin on the 12th winner was Liz Blight of Royal North Devon.
There were twos recorded by Nic Pointing of Sherborne and Angela Mullerworth of Woodbury. Overall the ladies made more than £300 for the captains’ chosen charity – Devon Freewheelers.
It was held to be a very successful day for the many hardworking members who volunteered their time.