Honiton men bowl to success in Top Club and County Trophy matches
- Credit: Archant
Honiton men are celebrating success in both the County Top Club and County Trophy, writes Ann Brown.
They were victorious in their Section Three final in the Top Club competition, beating Madeira 3-2 in what was a very tight and exciting game.
Denis Hillyear, Malcolm Seaborne and Roger Binmore won the triples 23 -19, Peter Goodwin, Ken Clarke, Mike Dart and Mike Smith won the rinks 19-18, Bill Nicholls lost the two wood singles and Kieran Daniels the four wood singles. However, the pair of Tony Tooley and Trevor Pipe forced an extra end and came out 19-18 winners.
The team now play Culm Vale at Honiton later this month, well done gents!
In the County Trophy (Group B) the men are into the last 16 and will be playing Bideford Victoria Park at Exonia on August 9, to try and reach the quarter-final to be played at Topsham. Good luck, to the men in both games.
You may also want to watch:
Other Honiton club successes include the TCL against Cullompton with a win of 83-61, top rink Alan Fuller, Brenda Harris, Ken Clarke and Carol Smith 30-7.
A friendly game against Belmont went Honiton’s way with a score of 71-53, top rink Carole Stafrace, Mike Critchley and Alan Fuller 26-5.
- 1 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 2 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 5 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 6 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 7 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 8 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 9 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 10 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
In the Over-50s Triples League game against Sidmouth, the ladies won on one rink 24-9, but lost on the other.
The ladies are currently fourth out of ten teams in Division One.
The men’s Over-60s A team were delighted to get their first win for six weeks and gain eight points from a meeting with Chagford. Both triples won; Paul Clarke, David Lindley, Dick Summers (16-12), and Bill NIcholls, Roger Willcocks, Gerry Stafrce (25-14).
However, in the friendly away at Chardstock Honiton lost 85-59 and here the top rink was the one of David Downs, Fred Dart, Heather Chambers and Gerry Stafrace (20-14).