Honiton Petanque’s Spring Doubles joy for Hutchinson and O’Reilly
- Credit: Archant
Fine weather was enjoyed last week at Mountbatten Park for Honiton Petanque’s Spring Doubles competition, writes Chris Bigmore.
The now traditional start of coffee and croissants was followed by the morning’s group stages involving nine teams.
The gold medal was won again by Ronnie Hutchinson, though this time partnered by Charlie O’Reilly.
In a hard fought final, they came out on top 13-5 over Larry Halliwell and Cecily Young, who had to settle for the silver medal.
Earlier, both teams had topped their respective groups. In the afternoon’s knockout stage Hutchinson and O’Reilly defeated Paul Morgan and Neil Standring 13-2 in their semi-final, while Halliwell and Young narrowly overcame Terry Briggs and Penny Salter 13-12 in their last four match. Standring and Morgan then won the third place play-off.
You may also want to watch:
The bronze medal competition was won by Tony Prior and Linda Vince, who beat Paul Puddicombe and Margaret Tawse 13-10 in another closely fought final.
Medals and prizes were presented by club chairman Chris Bigmore, who expressed his satisfaction at seeing another successful and highly competitive event, played in the right spirit.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 5 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 6 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 7 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 8 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis