Honiton RFC slip and slide to defeat
Honiton slipped and slid to 23-0 defeat on Saturday against a well- organised Cullompton second string.
Honiton slipped and slid to 23-0 defeat on Saturday against a well- organised Cullompton second string. Honiton and Cullompton have gone in opposite directions over the last three or four years and that was all too apparent on Saturday as the more organised second string put a decent Honiton side to the sword.
In torrential conditions Honiton played up the slope in the first half, and while the game was tit for tat in the main, it was the away side who showed more composure and skill at key times.
With the wind at their backs, Cullompton used the wind sensibly when required and punished the Lacemen for any infringement within kickable distance.
It was a lesson for Honiton, and it will make those who were not previously aware, what is required should they choose to progress out of this league.
You may also want to watch:
Honiton did mount pressure but needlessly kicked the ball away after gathering momentum.
At the break Honiton were ten points down but were confident of overturning the deficit. In truth, though, they rarely threatened the Cullompton line, the rucking lacked pace, and their general play, even given the conditions, was laboured.
- 1 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 4 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 5 Rural Proofing response will be guided by Labour’s motion says Cabinet at Devon County Council
- 6 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 How you can help your children keep up with studying
- 9 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
The constant rain did not help matters and the telling score came when, with fifteen minutes to go, Cullompton broke through.
Although they were stopped initially, they chipped through from the next quick phase for a converted score.
They continued to press the home side into errors and eventually ran out 23-0 winners.
Next week Honiton travel to Ilfracombe, hoping for a better effort.