Honiton seniors success for trio
- Credit: Archant
There was good weather for the 56 seniors taking part in the popular Texas Scramble format, writes John Pawley.
The drawn teams of three get to choose the next shot from where the balls lie but the drive of each player has to be taken on at least five occasions – so scores should be competitive and low.
Dave Maggs, Tom Stanton and Tom Tunnicliffe emerged triumphant with a net score of 64.5. Jim Wallis, Phil Faulkner and Ron Rogers were second with 65.5 with Andy Sharland, Peter Keith and Rob Sexton taking third place with 65.8. Mike Kent, Mike Watts and Bill Phillips completed the list of winners with 66.3.
Tony Proudfoot and Oliver Wilson scored the only twos of the round – both on the second hole – and each received 18 balls.
As part of Festival Week there was a ladies 3-ball better ball Stableford competition following the seniors competition, and the winning team came from Honiton.
You may also want to watch:
Lady captain Jane Watts, with Jenny Raison and Janet Hughes came out on top with a score of 77 points.
They were followed by a team from Kingsdown GC, Corsham with 75 and next came Stover with 74. A mixed Bowmaker Stableford competition was played the day before. This time the lady captain Jane, along with husband Mike, Alan Devenny and Jackie Seager ensured a very good week by coming second with 82 points.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 3 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 8 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 9 The US Open: part two
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
The team were just pipped to the top spot by a mixed team from Mendip and Clevedon. Third were the team from East Devon.