Honiton Town all set for Tuesday night’s big home derby
- Credit: Archant
Honiton Town go into Tuesday night’s East Devon derby at home to Sidmouth Town (6.30pm) in good mood after they banked their first point in the South West Peninsula League, Eastern Division courtesy of a 1-1 draw at Brixham.
Town expect another big Mountbatten Park turnout after almost 200 saw last Tuesday night’s 3-1 defeat at the hands of Budleigh Salterton.
At Brixham, the Hippos found a solid surface and played out the 90 minutes beneath a cloudless sky, but they made a bight start before falling behind with another ‘avoidable’ goal.
A misplaced defensive header was punished with a clinical finish to see the home side take the lead.
Town’s response was positive and it was no more than they deserved when a free-kick, well delivered by Aaron Doble, found Martyn Hancock in a crowded area and his clever knock down found Elliot Dyer who drilled the ball home.
You may also want to watch:
After the break Town enjoyed plenty of the ball and they fashioned a number of chances – all repelled by the impressive Brixham glovesman.
With 15 minutes remaining the Hippos thought they might have bagged all three points when a terrific set-piece delivery fro Ben Ede was headed home by Martyn Hancock only for the referees assistant to raise his flag for ‘off-side’.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
This was, without doubt, a much improved all-round Town performance and, playing like this, that first win at this higher level, must surely be only just around the corner.