Honiton Town in seventh heaven as they inflict a ‘Long Good Friday’ on Axminster Town
- Credit: Archant
Honiton Town recorded what may well go down as the most ‘eye-catching’ result of the South West Peninsula League Eastern Division campaign with their Good Friday morning 7-2 win at Mountbatten Park over Axminster Town.
The Hippos have picked up form recently and did go into the Good Friday game unbeaten in four since a March 16, 5-0 home loss to Torridgeside.
In contrast, the Tigers of Axminster Town pitched up at Mountbatten Park unbeaten in their previous three away games which had seen them draw 1-1 at Elmore, win 5-0 at Waldon Athletic last Saturday and then crush Sidmouth Town 3-1 under the Manstone Lane floodlights in midweek.
However, while it was a long Goof Friday for the Tigers, the Hippos positively ‘wallowed’ in their glory.
A Ben Ede penalty put them ahead and further goals from Chris Long, Owen McCreadie-Taylor and Liam Dingle saw the Hippos into a 4-0 interval lead.
You may also want to watch:
The mood got merrier for the Mountbatten Park faithful as Dingle, McCreadie-Taylor and Long all struck a second each before two late consultations, one from the penalty spot, led to that eye-catching final score!
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 5 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 8 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 9 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery