Honiton Town net point in midweek game at Torrington
- Credit: Archant
Alex Lowe marked his Honiton Town debut with a goal as the Hippos banked a point from an eventful Tuesday night South West Peninsula League Premier East game at Torrington that ended 2-2.
Eventful it most certainly was with the Hippos twice leading on the night before ending the game with nine men after a red card for Joe Dixon and a late sin-binning for player-manager Aaron Doble!
Lowe struck in the 20th minute to give Town the lead, but the home side restored parity seven minutes before the break, netting from close range after a superb save from Hippos’ glovesman Matt Kingdom.
The lead was restored for Town 10 minutes into the second half in a passage of play that saw goalmouth action in both halves of the pitch inside a minute!
Torrington drew a fine save from Town goalkeeper Kingdom and, when the ball was cleared up field Finn Rooke applied a neat finish to a slick counter attack to continue his fine scoring form since his summer switch from Beer Albion, with a neat finish.
You may also want to watch:
Just past the hour mark Joe Dixon was shown a straight red for a handball offence reducing the Hippos to 10 men and, despite a valiant effort from the team they were unable to prevent a home equaliser, scored inside the final 10 minutes.
There was a big suspicion about off-side for the goal, indeed, the linesman did have his flag raised and, after ‘discussing’ the award of the goal with the match official Town player-boss Doble was sent to the sin-bin.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
The drama did not end there for the game then saw a second red card, albeit handed out in injury time, this time issued to one of the home team before the match official brought proceedings to an end.