Honiton Town stage comeback to edge close to glory
- Credit: Archant
Honiton Town moved ever close to Fresha League Division One glory when they won 2-1 against Westexe.
Perhaps with thoughts of just how close the title is, the Town players were not at their best and were outplayed for large periods of the game by the Tiverton side.
It’s to the team’s credit that, despite not playing well, they were able to turn round a half-time deficit to bank the points.
Having spurned a number of chances the Hippos finally levelled with just 15 minutes remaining when Lewis Couch was felled in the area and he got up to tuck the resultant penalty away.
That sparked a concerted effort by the Hippo’s to bag a winner and it duly arrived via the head of Dan Broom.
You may also want to watch:
Town boss Kev Blackwell said: “We were second best for much of the game and missed enough chances to have won a couple of matches. Perhaps the winning line being so close is getting to some of the lads, but they have to stay focussed. Now is not the time to see all the season’s hard work undone by below-par performances.”
Blackwell continued: “However, the way that the lads have performed throughout the season probably means that they have earned a slice of luck which is what came their way in this game. They did also show great character for the way they came back. They held their nerve as the clock ticked down and got their rewards late on.”
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 6 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 7 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 8 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 9 Holocaust Memorial Day to be marked in virtual ceremony
- 10 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
Town have a huge game on Saturday when victory over visitors Exwick Villa will leave the Hippos within touching distance of the title.