Honiton Under-14s ship late goal to be edged out by table-toppers
- Credit: Archant
Honiton Under-14s went down to a single goal defeat for the second week running when they were edged out by visiting table-toppers Wonford Galaxy.
The hosts stood up well to the visitor’s physical approach with the midfield four of Matthew Ward, Max Salter, Jack Hawker and Becky Rose prominent.
A well-struck free-kick saw Galaxy take the lead, but this spurred Honiton forward and they were unlucky not to equalise when Dan Loosemore’s great strike from distance was touched on to the crossbar by the goalkeeper.
Honiton’s pressure eventually told through an own goal, as a corner was turned home by a Wonford defender and half-time arrived with the scores level.
After the break the action followed a similar pattern with neither team able to find the breakthrough, but just as it looked like the game was drifting towards a draw, a looping header from a corner gave the visitors the advantage.
You may also want to watch:
For the final five minutes, Honiton threw everything they had forward in the search for another goal but despite going close they were unable to find the equaliser. Although disappointed with the final result, Honiton can be pleased with their performance, but now need to ensure they strive to maintain this high standard going forward.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 3 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 9 The US Open: part two
- 10 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home