Juniors grab the limelight in Seaton Tennis Club annual tournament
- Credit: Archant
Seaton Tennis Club was bathed in unexpected sunshine as juniors showed their skill and energy during the 2015 Finals Day, writes Belinda Bawden.
Anna Moroz celebrated her 14th birthday a day early as she beat Teresa Hancock to take the ladies singles title and become the club’s youngest ever winner of the coveted title.
In the men’s singles it was a family affair as 17-year-old James Turton defeated brother Ollie in the final and 16-year-old Katie Wiltshire, partnered by ladies A team captain Jan Waller, took the ladies doubles title in a thrillingly close match against mixed A team captain Julie Hopkinson and Jen Rose.
In the men’s doubles, 15-year-old pairing Sam Sparkes and Rory Morgan took on club stalwarts Dennis Rose and Brian Rodgers, but were overpowered by the more experienced pair.
New club member Mandy Elliott took double honours beating ladies C captain Teri Murphy in a tie-break to win the ladies singles plate event and followed that up with victory in the ladies doubles plate, partnering ladies B team captain Belinda Bawden, beating Teri Murphy playing with Jenny Moroz.
You may also want to watch:
In other events though, experience won through as Ian Broughton retained his men’s singles title against Simon Prior; Hamid Hall and Chris Rose beat Geoff Copp and Colin Hales in the men’s doubles final and Devon Coach of the Year, Derek Blackmore, playing with Justine Akeroyd, outclassed Peter Morton and Belinda Bawden in the mixed doubles plate event.
The final event of the day kept the crowd thrilled and entertained in the sunshine as coach Kevin Davis and Susan Green won in a blistering display of power and skill with Julie Hopkinson and Simon Prior, which was finally resolved in a very close championship tie-break.
- 1 Leanne's charity pledge to spread the word on vision awareness
- 2 Hot pennies team plan bumper event to mark charter anniversary
- 3 Farm opens gardens and wildflower meadows to support good causes
- 4 Streetwise author launches second edition of historical A to Z
- 5 Scouts welcome Ernie
- 6 Escot provides 'forever' home for rescued bear cubs
- 7 Couple support hospital that cared for tragic grandson
- 8 Mentoring helps to encourage development and leadership
- 9 Tim Martin of Wetherspoons wants government to offer visas to EU workers to help out in pubs
- 10 New silverware up for grabs as flower and produce fair returns
Summer camps for juniors are running until mid-August on Tuesdays 2pm to 5pm and Thursdays 10am to 1pm at Seaton with Saturday drop-in sessions from 9.30am.
For more information about the coaching programme, please contact Jason Martin, Head Coach on 07931 743168 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more general information about Seaton Tennis Clubvisit www.seatontennis.net or contact membership secretary, Jeremy Warner on email@example.com or 07973 506312.