Juniors’ intro to gala swimming
Chard & District Swimming Club held their first Preliminaries Gala last weekend at Flamingo Pool, Axminster, writes Hannah Pullinger.
The gala, mainly for the 10 and unders, was intended to give the club’s newest and youngest swimmers a taster of competitive swimming at a fun, and friendly gala. The races were all one length only, in each of the four strokes, and over 30 young swimmers took part - supported by parents and friends watching from poolside.
Congratulations go to four swimmers who swam under 20 seconds for the first time in their 25m freestyle race and so achieved the club’s Bronze Speed Badge: Helen Underwood, Leo Bonning, Oliver Bright and Megan Herbert.
Time-keeping and marshalling was undertaken by seven of the club’s older swimmers who are taking part in the ASA South West Young Volunteer Programme, so it was truly a ‘team’ effort.
Much to the delight of the swimmers, after the events there was time for some fun activities, with swimmer’s taking part in ‘caterpillar races’.
You may also want to watch:
All those taking part received a club certificate confirming their times, which were presented at the end by club chairman Eric van den Barselaar to: Xanthe Dyer, Abigail Greenslade, Helen Underwood, Sharna Edge, Leo Bonning, Jessica McAuley, Eden McDonald, Holly Dickinson, Oliver Bright, Oscar Rens, Megan Herbert, Jimmy Brett, Brooke Mathieson, Lauren Burrough, Joe Shrubb, Leonie Housham, William Hawkins, Harriet Copeman, Mia Huntley, Abbie Herbert, Natasha Dower, Oliver Parry-Leyshon, Lorimer Bowles-Webb, Imogen Waterhouse, Olivia Petrini, Molly Hunt, Freddie Loder, Millie Downs, Cole Dickinson, Hannah Doble, Baylei Callow.
?Chard & District are always looking for new members; sessions are held at Axminster, Chard and Crewkerne, as well as long course training at Millfield School pool.
- 1 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 2 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 3 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 4 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 5 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 6 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 7 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 8 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 9 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 10 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
If you would like to find out more or arrange a free trial please visit the club’s web-site at chardswimming.org.uk
Chard & District are always looking for new members; sessions are held at Axminster, Chard and Crewkerne, as well as long course training at Millfield School pool. If you would like to find out more or arrange a free trial please visit our web-site at chardswimming.org.uk