Keech crowned English Girls’ Open Champion
- Credit: Archant
Axminster golfer Sophie Keech continued her outstanding success in 2013 with arguably the biggest win to date last week.
The 17-year-old won her second national title of the year when she scored a five-shot victory in the English girls’ open championship at Oake Manor.
Keech, already English schools’ champion, finished the 72-hole event on level par with rounds of 70, 68, 73 and 73.
Her playing partner Annabel Dimmock (Wentworth) was runner-up on five-over, while Emily Slater (Woodhall Spa) was a further shot back in third place.
Keech said: “Last year, and the one before, were good for me, but winning this makes this year my best-ever – and there’s still more to come.”
You may also want to watch:
She is also the current South-West girls’ champion and was runner-up in the South West ladies’.
She was previously the schools champion in 2011 – and only lost the title on count back in 2012.
- 1 Property of the Week: East Grange
- 2 Tuck into this celebration of East Devon's finest food and drink
- 3 Motorists urged: park sensibly, don't drive Devon residents mad
- 4 Hill climbs to the top on Captain’s Day
- 5 Lions help enthusiastic work skills group
- 6 East Devon councillor resigns to focus on his business interests
- 7 Walkies! Heath team offers summer advice for dog owners
- 8 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed
- 9 Seaton Cricket club ‘bowled over’ by gesture from local housebuilder
- 10 Great gran takes plunge at Lyme Regis
The English girls’ championship has long been a target for Sophie, whose friend and county colleague, Hayley Davis, is a past winner: “It’s really nice to follow in her footsteps,” she said.
Leading final scores (par 71): 284 Sophie Keech (Parkstone) 70 68 73 73; 289 Annabel Dimmock (Wentworth) 68 73 74 74; 290 Emily Slater (Woodhall Spa) 72 70 74 74; 292 Ellie Goodall (Selby) 74 70 74 74; Lianna Bailey (Notts Ladies) 72 73 72 75; Bethan Popel (Long Ashton) 71 75 69 77; 294 Dulcie Sverdloff (Garon Park) 72 70 79 73.