Keech does well in Roehampton Open Gold Challenge Cup
- Credit: Archant
Devon Golfer Sophie Keech played in the Roehampton Open Gold Challenge Cup in London.
The teenager was representing Parkstone Golf Club Dorset and playing as an amateur in a competition where amateurs and professionals play together.
Last year Sophie won the title, however this time round the event was staged in some extremely windy conditions.
With 50 top players playing Sophie was in top of the leader board after the first round in the amateurs section and a lofty second when the professionals were added!
In the second round Sophie played another solid front 14 holes, however the last four holes things didn’t go her way. A disappointed Sophie then saw the other players scores knowing how windy and difficult this made her game ended up in second place, losing by a single shot and when the professionals were included it left the youngster a highly creditable fifth overall.
You may also want to watch:
Next up for young Keech is the Scottish Ladies Open Stroke Play Championship (Helen Holme) at Royal Troon and Portland Course. This is one of her biggest competitions of the year.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery