Keech has stunning back nine at Ladies British Open Match Play
- Credit: Archant
Sophie Keech finished fifth in the Ladies British Open Match Play in Ireland at Portstewart Northern Ireland.
Played on a 6,400 yards championship links course, the championships were graced by the top 144 women amateurs from around the world.
The cut came after two days with the top 64 then going on to play the matchplay section of the championships.
Keech was one over through the first nine holes on day one, but then produced some stunning golf to play the next nine holes at five under par!
The 19-year-old made six birdies after the turn thanks to some incredible putting. On the tenth she sank a 12 foot putt and then bettered that with an amazing 25-foot putt on the eleventh. On the 12th she putted out from 20 feet and needed just two putts from the edge of the green to complete the 14th. The pick of the putts was undoubtedly an incredible 35-foot putt to sink the short fifteenth and she also putted the 16th with a six foot putt.
You may also want to watch:
Keech said after her amazing round: “What a pity I finished with a bogey five. I didn’t quite get up with a driver and a four wood and took three putts to get down to the edge.”
On day two Keech had a late start time and went out at 3.30pm, but shot an impressive one over to leave her a splendid three under for the two round s and that put her in firth place heading into day three.
- 1 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 4 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 5 Rural Proofing response will be guided by Labour’s motion says Cabinet at Devon County Council
- 6 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 How you can help your children keep up with studying
- 9 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
In the match play she was drawn against Slovakian golfer Nastja Bancrec. Keech was one up through nine and then two up through 14, but ended up all square at the 18th.
The pair halved the firs two extra holes before the Slovakian took the tie on the 21st hole.
Keech was back on her travels and an appearance in the West of England Championship where she had rounds of one over and one over to finish fourth.