Knox treble lifts Tigers off bottom spot
Axminster Town were emphatic 5-2 winners when they travelled to Newton Spurs on Saturday.
The victory, a third of the season for the Tigers was made all the sweeter as it lifted the side off the foot of the table with Newton Spurs replacing them as the basement dwellers!
Joint-manager Peter Knox was the star of the show in terms of goal scoring and there was also a goal for the son of the other joint-manager Keith Somers; his teenage son Callum scored the fourth Town goal. Then other ‘scorer’ for the Tigers was a home defender who turned the ball past his own goalkeeper top put Town into an early lead.
The first of the Knox treble was a classy effort. Five minute before the break h showed real quality in bringing a dropping ball under control before rifling it beyond the despairing dive of the home goalkeeper.
Knox punished a home defensive error to make it 3-1 early in the second half and, after young Somers had opened his Tigers account, Know completed his treble. The home side scored their second in the final minute.
You may also want to watch:
It’s surely onward and upwards now for the Tigers who have played just 11 league games this term and no one has played were. Their ten point return form those eleven games keeps them in the bottom two, but they are only nine points behind eighth placed Sidmouth Town who have played three more games than them.
Saturday sees the Tigers travel to Premier Division Launceston seeking more Walter C Parsons Cup glory after their win in the previous round at top flight Witheridge.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 3 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 4 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 5 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 6 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 7 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
A coach is running to the game – tickets for the return coach trip are £10 each – call Keith Somers if you want to join the Tigers on the road.