Le Coq voted star player
Honiton Hornets Hockey Club 5, Ashmoor 2nds 0
Saturday’s match proved to be a very successful one for Honiton, who were playing at home to a mainly young, but very determined, side from the borders of Dartmoor, writes Ann Reed.
Although both teams were playing hard from the opening whistle with play moving freely, neither side seemed to be able to gain a lead until the 23rd minute when Honiton’s captain, Sophie George, slipped the ball into the circle where Becky Bond was waiting to score.
This goal was followed up when excellent field play enabled Becky Hammett to make a great strike, sending the ball once more to the backboard.
In the second half, Honiton proved its superiority, even though the visitors did not give up in their efforts to contain their opposition.
You may also want to watch:
Two penalty corners, the ball passed by Vanessa Trude across the circle, were rewarded with goals when Amy Phillips and Sophie George, respectively, put the ball over the goal line. The third goal resulted from a quick pass to the half way line from Jackie Pinn to Lucy Le Coq, who then took the ball up the remainder of the pitch and into the circle and from there to the back of the net.
The final whistle blew shortly after - a 5-0 win a very healthy result.
- 1 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 2 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 3 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 4 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 5 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 6 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 7 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 8 East Devon MPs 'reluctantly agree' on Lockdown Three
- 9 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 10 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
Player of the Match: Lucy Le Coq (with Becky Hammett right behind)
Practices continue to be held on Tuesday evenings at Cullompton Sports Centre: 7 pm – 8.30 pm. Meet in Honiton at the Sports Centre Car Park at 6.30 pm if a lift is required. Contact details available at www.wcwhi.co.uk/Public/Clubs.php