Lightning strikes again for Feniton against Yelverton
Lighting struck twice for Feniton as, for the second time this season, they lost to promotion rivals Yelverton on the final ball of the day!
When the pair met at Acland Park in May the visitors won by a single run, Feniton losing their last wicket looking to get the run that would have tied the match.
The return at Yelverton went the distance with the home side winning by three wickets with a run off the final delivery of another compelling contest.
Feniton batted first and skipper Mark Kingdon (37) and Graham Tucker (17) led them to 154. That was so nearly enough to at least secure a winning draw with Russ Whitton claiming 2-35 from a dozen excellent overs, but the hosts got home with that last ball single with seven wickets down. The win leaves Yelverton sitting top 26 points clear. Feniton stay second, but the gap between them and Filleigh in fifth is now just 17 points as the race for the two promotion berths hots up with six matches to go and 120 points to play for.
On Saturday Feniton stage an east Devon derby with the visit of Whimple. When the pair met in late May it was another game to go all the way, Brian Cann hit 111 as Feniton, with their last pair at the crease, closed on 270-9 in reply to Whimple’s 275-4.
You may also want to watch:
Duncan Cousins (47no) and skipper Francis Pyle (30) helped Feniton II to 184-6 at home to 10-man Kentisbeare II. The Mid Devon side were then bowled out for 127 with Kevin Brandon taking 4-35 to help Feniton to a win that keeps their hopes alive and they will want to have Exeter still within catching distance when the side meet on the final day of the season at Acland Park.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 3 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 The US Open: part two
- 8 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 9 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax