Long and Perryman net as Hippos topple the Tops
- Credit: Archant
Honiton Town struck arguably their result of the Fresha League Premier Divisions season when they won 2-0 at Topsham Town.
The Tops had only been beaten once before this game and second half goals from Chris Long and Tom Perryman ensured that the Hippo’s 10th away game of the league season ended with them banking three precious points.
Town boss Kev Blackwell said: “Having drawn with them (Topsham) seven days before at our place we travelled knowing we were in for a tough afternoon.
“With a slight wind and a bobbly pitch it meant we were unable to get our preferred passing game going to the level we’d have liked.
“At half-time we had chat and I did emphasise to the lads that what was really needed was for us to be patient, stay solid at the back and, in what looked a tight game, if we took any chances that came our way then we’d get what we wanted out of the contest.”
You may also want to watch:
The first goal arrived when Chris Long broke from midfield to calmly slot the ball home from the edge of the area. The second was a terrific finish from Tom Perryman.
The win sees Town into third place in the table. They have 11 games to play with just four of them being away from their Mountbatten Park home.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 3 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 4 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 5 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 6 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 7 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 8 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 9 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 10 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
Blackwell said of the success: “It is very pleasing to take four points in such a short space of time from such a strong side. This ought to give the team a large amount of satisfaction and I would hope belief that they can now go on and finish the season with some confidence.”
It does look as if Newtown are going to win the title, but any top three berth for Town would be seen as a huge achievement given that two seasons ago they were plying their trade in the third tier of local football!
On Saturday the Hippos travel to Chard before they begin a run of three successive home games.