Long try is consolation for Chard 2nds at Weston
- Credit: Archant
Chard 2nd XV suffered a 67-7 defeat on their visit to Weston 4th XV.
Sadly, it was another case of Chard being struck down by a number of selection woes through injury and unavailability that led to the club’s 3rd XV game against Frome being conceded in order to field a bare XV for the meeting with Weston – one of the strongest teams in the section!
With call-ups for Mick Duffy and Keith Milton in the packs and Neil Henly beefing up the wing berth, Chard began well and put Weston under pressure thanks to some pin-point kicking by the veteran Andrew Mckerrow and good chasing from Billy Brookes and George Chapman.
However, after the opening 10 minutes, Weston began to impose themselves on the proceedings with some slick passing and handling.
They began to create lots of space and, although Chard did their best, they had no real answer to a much better home outfit.
You may also want to watch:
Chard lost two players to injury, but, in the true spirit of rugby, Weston generously loaned replacements to fill the gaps.
Chard’s efforts were rewarded when Steve Long scored under the posts and Nick Coombs slotted the conversion.
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Football in support of mental health
- 9 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 10 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
Despite the score line, this game was an enjoyable event which gave everyone plenty to talk about in the bar afterwards.
This coming weekend there are two club re-arranged fixtures with the 2nd XV away at Bridgwater while the third XV host Taunton third with that match possibly taking place on the main pitch, if conditions allow. If not, then it will be at Crewkerne Road.
Kick-off for both games will be 3pm.