Lyme bowlers try to dodge drought conditions
Well, well, well, first week back outside, in an officially declared drought situation, and we lose three of our four games to rain, writes Paul Moffitt.
Lyme’s games against Yeovil, the visually impaired and Queen Camel were all cancelled because of waterlogged greens. The only game to go ahead was the one against Yeovil Westlands at home, which the home team managed to win quite comfortably.
It has to be said that despite all the rain, Lyme's green is in wonderful condition because of the wonderful drainage.
This coming week heralds the start of the County League season for both the ladies and men. Participants have been taking the opportunity between the showers to brush up on their outdoor techniques, basically speaking to find out how heavy the going is.
It is my sad duty to report the passing of Brian Gillett, a true gentleman who will be sorely missed.
You may also want to watch:
He was a permanent member of the championship side and has proved to be one of the steadiest leads that the club has had. I personally will miss him as he has been my front man for the past few years and will be a hard act to follow.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 10 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert
Lyme 106, Yeovil Westlands 76: S Cox, D Courtenay-Smith, N Solomon, R Edwards 17-18; T Payne, T Poyner, D Wood, Chas Barber 26-17; B Turpin, G Clode, Chris Barber 16-14; J Beadsley, J York, P Stephens, E Skeemer 30-10; D Perry, R Cridge, N Stephens 17-17.
?This coming Sunday is the club’s Open Day when members will be hoping for more clement weather. Please go along, whatever the weather, and see just what a fun time can be had bowling. See you there.