Lyme golfer Keech wins open despite two shot penalty
Lyme golf rising star Sophie Keech played in the South-West Region of The England Schools' Golf Championships at Test Valley, Hampshire at the weekend.
Sophie had previously won the qualifying Somerset Schools competition played at Wells, which earned her a place at Hampshire.
This South-West Championship was a 36 hole competition and Sophie came second, playing some excellent golf. This qualified her for the national finals to be played on June 26, at Belton Park Golf Club in Lincolnshire.
The following day Sophie played in The Parkstone Junior Open, this is the course where she won the County Championship and broke the course record.
She had one major incident where she accidentally hit a ball which she thought was hers and, in doing so, received a two shot penalty.
You may also want to watch:
Before that Sophie was level par, but she kept her cool and this did not deter her from ending up two over par, which proved to be too good for the rest of the field and she went on to win the event.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 10 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert