Lyme Regis bowlers discover just how cruel the sport can be
- Credit: Archant
What a cruel game the noble sport of bowls can be, writes Paul Moffitt.
Lyme’s men, who travelled to Branksome Park in the Championship league, lost by four shots and yet did not pick up a single point!
With Paul Pomeroy’s and Barry Rattenbury’s rinks finished, both with a deficit of one shot, Paul Moffit’s rink were two up going into the last end and holding shot, which would have given Lyme a one shot victory and six points!
Branksome’s skip managed to fire the jack into the ditch and pick up four shots. Gutted doesn’t really sum it up!
With a tough home draw against Wellworthy and an away game at dreaded Melcombe Regis, it’s looking likely that Lyme will be back in Division One next year. Still, miracles do happen.
You may also want to watch:
There were two friendlies last week, which Lyme managed to win by small margins.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 4 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 5 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 6 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 7 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
Dorset Men’s Championship:
Lyme 53, Branksome Park 57.
M Knight, C Barber, K Hickman, P Moffitt 19-21; T Allman, S Pomeroy, S Chant, P Pomeroy 17-18; G Clode, R Cridge, A Weech, B Rattenbury 17-18.
Lyme 74, Crewkerne 69.
S Bond, P Stephens, A Nabarro, B Parsons 10-20; A Darvill, C Elmore, J Parsons, R Legg 15-18; B Smith, J Moffitt, J Moseley, N Stephens 19-16; V Henson, H Dowling, N Bond, P Moffitt 30-15.
Lyme 95, Three Mile Cross Tour 89.
T Young, N Solomon, J Moffitt, K Hickman 15-20; M McAlpine, B Parsons, S Rowe 27-12; P Ward, D Read, P Knight, D Wood 21-13; L Young, T Payne, K Clissold, A Weech 14-29; R Turpin, S Bond, A Henson, P Moffitt 18-15.