Lyme Regis Centenary Sword success for Barry Ebdon
- Credit: Archant
On the 25th occasion, competing for the Centenary Sword, it was fitting that it was a very close finish as both Barry Ebdon and Tony Johnstone both scored 43 points, writes Richard Jackman.
With each scoring 23 points on the front nine and 20 on the back, it came down to truly tight finish as Ebdon just emerged the worthy winner.
Both players had memorable holes each scoring a four point hole with a number of three pointers.
Spare a thought for Ian Mudford who was two under gross par scoring 40 points to finish a spectacular third.
The ladies Ping four-ball better ball competition also saw high scores as Judith Ellard and Sarah Kilcoyne had a dream start as they took 12 points from the first three holes on their way to a staggering 46 points.
You may also want to watch:
With this winning score it may see them go forward to play in the national final in Lincolnshire.
Melissa McMahon and Jenny Scott started well and continued playing in the same vein as they were consistently steady on all holes to finish with a highly respectable 45 points. Julie Duke and Debbie Shinners came third with a good score of 40 points.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 5 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 6 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 9 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 10 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope