Mayo nets and Honiton make it ten from ten
Ashmoor 0, Honiton Hornets 1 Honiton produced an inspired all-round show to bag a clean sheet win at a young, fleet-footed and talented Ashmoor outfit.
The only goal of the game owed much to the determination of Sophie George who kept a pass Amy Phillips in-play in the corner of the pitch and delivered it back across the circle to Dawn Mayo who saw her first shot parried, but then coolly slotted the re-bound.
Moments later Mayo saw a shot strike the frame of the goal. After the break the home side dominated whilst Hinton defended in depth and relied on swift counter-attacks.
The Honiton defence of Sue Stone, Sami Williams, Becky Bond, Lorraine Ritchie and Emily Gawler all worked extremely hard to keep Ashmoor out of the circle for the most part and, when Ashmoor did manage to break through, the shots on goal were well covered.
Amy Phillips, Becky Hammett and Laura Frank also had excellent games at both ends of the pitch supporting defence and attack.
You may also want to watch:
The final ten minutes were intense, but Honiton stayed disciplined and deservedly saw out the game to net a tenth victory in as many league outings this term.
A feature of an excellent all-round show was that no fewer than ten different players received Player of the Match votes with Amy Phillips receiving the most.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 3 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 The US Open: part two
- 8 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 9 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax