Mayo treble as Honiton complete warm-up matches with Dawlish win
Honiton’s hockey season is well underway and the team has played a couple of warm-up friendly matches over the past fortnight, writes Ann Reed.
First up it was a trip to Yeovil and Sherborne where Honiton claimed a 3-1 success.
The first goal of the new season was scored by Jean Herniman and this was followed by a brace of own goals; (the new rule allowing a goal to be scored from a strike by any player, regardless of team membership, within the circle).
Last weekend took the team away once more, this time to Dawlish where the home side were loaned the services of some Honiton players to make sure the game took place! The match was a well contested affair with Honiton emerging 8-6 victors.
During the first 15 minutes the home side seemed to be heading for a sweeping win as they raced into a four goal lead. However, Honiton finally found their touch and began to take charge and at the interval it was al square at 4-4.
You may also want to watch:
After the break Honiton scored another four with the home side managed just two.
Honiton’s scorers were Dawn Mayo (3), Kathryn Tucker (2), Amy Phillips and two own goals.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert
- 10 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
So a confident start to the season in terms of friendly results. The league campaign begins in earnest this coming weekend when Honiton will tackle tougher opposition than they met last year following their promotion to a higher level.