Moughton enjoys final outing with his Beer Albion side
Lords XI 1, Beer Reserves 1 It proved to be quite a swan-song for Beer player-boss Ross Moughton as he played a big part in his side’s excellent draw at the promotion seeking hosts.
Moughton’s last game – he’s hanging his boots up as he feels injuries are taking their toll – saw him, and Mark Rooke, provide a central defensive pairing of 70 plus years!
However, the experienced duo, together with Sam White and Joe Adkin put together a most effective back four in front of once-again impressive glovesman Michael Westlake.
Both goals came inside the final three minutes of the game. Beer struck first with just thirty seconds of the 90 minutes remaining, Matt Hales, who had only been on the pitch eleven minutes, stabbing the ball home.
For Hales it was a sweet moment for he had been a late call-up to help out as the team were limited with numbers and, after seven months out of the game, he was able to make a significant return!
You may also want to watch:
There was still time left though for the home side to net an equaliser in added time.
Moughton said: “It’s a shame we couldn’t end the season with the win I felt our performance deserved. That said, the point secures our place in the Division for next season. It was a cracking way for me to bow out as I felt we played ever so well and I thoroughly enjoyed the partnership with Mark (Rooke). That’s my lot, I have had a great run with these lads and I thank them all from then bottom of heart for their individual, and collective, efforts. For me the end of the road has arrived as I am finding it that much harder to recover from injuries and, having pulled most muscles and broken various bones, enough is enough. I’ll not be far away and I have told the club that should, the need ever arise there’ll be a pair of boots in the shed to be dusted off – occasionally!”
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 5 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 6 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 7 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 8 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 9 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery