Pike hat-trick as Town thirds net derby win at Feniton
- Credit: Archant
Honiton Town thirds made a welcome return to winning ways as they won the East Devon derby at Acland Park, beating hosts Feniton thirds 5-2.
The result was sweet revenge for a defeat inflicted on the Hippos third string by Feniton a couple of weeks previously.
On a soft surface that led to some heavy going as the contest wore on the Town’s youngsters were not put off trying to play their normal crisp passing game.
A combination of wind and mud made things extra difficult as did going behind after 20 minutes after some slack marking in the defensive ranks.
Parity was restored by master marksman Ryan Pike with a clinical finish and a tap-in at the far post from Karl Allen saw Town into a 2-1 half-time lead.
You may also want to watch:
After the break Town made the most of having the slope in their favour.
Young Pike bagged his second with a trademark solo goal, a tidy finish after a mazy run and, when Nathan Selway netted the fourth goal of his first campaign ion senior football, Town led 4-1.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 6 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 7 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 8 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 9 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 10 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
Somewhat against the run of play, Feniton hit back with their second, but Town, and young Pike, were not to be denied another goal as the striker sealed his third hat-trick of the season to round off the scoring.
Town thirds have three matches remaining this season and currently sit fourth in the Macron League Division Nine table.
They are next in action on the final Saturday of the month when they travel to East Budleigh Reserves.