Pike set to be Town third team top scorer
- Credit: Archant
Honiton Town thirds were 3-2 winners when they hosted Witheridge in a Fresha League Division Nine game.
The victory brought to an end a six-match losing sequence and it was the manner of the win that most pleased team boss Andrew Pike.
He said: “It was a dominant display. From the first whistle we were superb. The work-rate across the pitch was great and we played some terrific football at times.”
Ryan Pike opened the scoring and the goal means he is now hot favourite to end the season as the team’s leading scorer. A superb strike from Karl Allen - a genuine contender for the goal of the season honour – doubled the lead by the break.
Early in the second half, a superb team move involving Ryan Pike, Harry Leisk and Jake Isaac left the latter with a tap in at the back post to make it 3-0.
You may also want to watch:
Witheridge stuck to their task and netted twice late on, but Town were not to b e denied a deserved victory.
Special mention should be made of the contribution from stand-in goalkeeper Kieran Conway, called up at short notice, his handling was excellent throughout.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 3 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 4 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 5 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 6 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 7 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax